Since our inception in 2009, Laughing Buddha Comedy School has been committed to finding you ways to grow as a comic with expert instructors, quality stage time, and small classes with a supportive community vibe.
It is our belief that stand up comedy can only be learned with real stage time and strongly suggest that comics utilize our Open Mics and Showcases to augment their classes, all of which are included in your tuition. Aspiring comics can choose from our daily Open Mics at numerous venues in Manhattan. Our combination of actual stage time along with workshops are what set us apart.
Our staff is carefully selected and comprised of top-notch working professionals including headliners, professional writers, working actors, and more. We keep our class size small (usually between 8 and 12 students) and give personal attention to every aspiring comic that comes our way.
Our classes include Stand Up Comedy, Hosting and Crowd Work, Writing for Late Night TV, Writing for Sitcoms, Storytelling for Comedians, and more.
Below is our list of upcoming classes. We encourage you to experience Laughing Buddha Comedy!
All levels. Great for Beginners.
Wednesdays 7-10 PM beginning March 14th, 2018
Instructor: Jeff Lawrence
- Six stand up comedy classes
- 6 Open mics included (one per week, no cover charge, drink minimum may apply)
- Professional Showcase in a major comedy club with a free HD video of your performance
- Develop a five minute set that’s strong from start to finish
- Joke writing, setup and punch, writing exercises
- Begin the journey of finding your voice and developing a point of view
- Performance, mic and stage technique
- Having fun, even with difficult or cold crowds
Previous stand up comedy experience or completion of our Six Week Basic Workshop is preferred to register for this class.
Mondays 7-10 PM, beginning March 19th, 2018
Instructor: Joe DeVito
- Five Stand Up Comedy Workshops
- 5 Open Mics (drink minimum may apply)
- Professional Showcase in a major comedy club with an HD video of your performance
- How to hone your material into a five minute TV set
- Writing discipline
- Tags, transitions, callbacks
- Economy of words
- Not settling for average laughs
- Turning your premises into memorable jokes with a killer knockout punch!
Tuesday, March 6th, 7-10PM
Instructor: Kevin Dombrowski
Students practice crowd work with a simulated audience and also includes an overview on the business side of hosting, and how to deal with producers, club owners and staff. This workshop is loads of fun, and a must for comics looking to emcee, or those who just want to work on their crowd work skills.
- The secrets of hosting and warming up a crowd
- Dealing with “cold” or difficult crowds and handling hecklers
- Finding “targets” in the audience for crowd work
- When to work in material or do crowd work
- The business side of hosting (city and road)
- And much more…
This is a perfect way for those with busy schedules or who do not reside in the NY area to hone their skills, revamp their writing, and develop their stand up act with our expert instructors. Students can submit a video or their set in writing and have it edited, and punched up. Our staff has appeared on major network television and written for Comedy Central, VH1, HBO, movies, major newspapers and more.
Rates vary; please contact us for more information.
Keep an eye out for future classes including:
- STAND UP COMEDY UP COMEDY WORKSHOP LEVEL TWO (5 weeks) | Jeff Lawrence
- WRITING FOR LATE NIGHT TV: LEVEL 2 (Five Weeks) | Dave Hanson
- PROMOTION AND MARKETING FOR COMEDIANS
- BREAKING INTO COMMERCIALS | Jason Salmon
- STAND UP COMEDY WOMEN’S WORKSHOP | Vanessa Hollingshead
- WRITING FOR SITCOM TV | Tom Leopold